"Lost For Words is my own unique concept: Kiwi scenes created entirely of words!
"The idea for these artworks started when I was teaching at secondary school - way back. I experimented with the idea on and off over some years - but it wasn't until 1994 that I started producing my artworks as prints. And they took off!
"Each one is months of painstaking but satisfying work. And as far as I know, I'm the only one in the world who makes anything like this. (Although I may just be the only one bananas enough to do it.) Lost for Words in Enzed was one of the earliest artworks, and is still going strong - after 20 years - as the best-seller in the series.
"At the beginning of 2015 my daughter Katie Russell, a.k.a Wellington artist KilowattKatie, started a range of tees and small prints based on words in my Lost For Words prints."
- Lost For Words on Facebook
- NZ & UK stockists:
- GRASS HUT - 37 Gillies St, Kawakawa, Bay of Islands
- HELENA BAY GALLERY - Old Russell Rd, (North of Whangarei) Northland
- JANE'S GALLERY - 30 Devon St East, New Plymouth, Taranaki
- QUAY GALLERY - 14 West Quay, Ahuriri, Napier, Hawkes Bay
- KIWI GALLERY - Dunster, Exmoor, Somerset (United Kingdom)
- NZ Fine Prints Ltd - 202 Hereford St, Christchurch.
The Lost For Words concept and all images are Copyright © 1994-2015 Cecilia Russell
Cecilia Russell's varied career has included painting, portraiture, graphic arts, illustration, educational television and teaching. During much of that time she has shown her work in galleries around New Zealand, as well as two shows in the United States.
For 20 years she had her own studio/gallery in Kerikeri, Bay of Islands. In 2011 she moved to South Taranaki where she now works from her studio in Hawera’s oldest commercial building.
- Dip. Graphic Design and Secondary Art Teaching Certificate
- Teaching at various levels including polytechnics and teachers college.
- Specialised in portraiture / human form / nude studies.
- 1994: Designed 6 stained glass panels for the sanctuary windows of the historic St James Church in Kerikeri.
- 1995: Launched own concept – a series entitled “Lost for Words…” These are produced as prints and marketed in NZ and overseas.
- 2006: Collaborated on the designs for public project in Waipapa - drawings for 3 tableaux of steel sculptures representing pioneers.
2015: The Princes Street Row
The Princes Street Row exhibition focused on five historical buildings in Hawera and the larger than life figures who helped create their history.
- With the help of husband Robert and daughter Katie, Cecilia published a book that featured in the exhibition: CHARLES E. MAJOR - MEMOIRS: Seventy Years of Life in New Zealand.
- Among many things, Charles E. Major was the Mayor of Hawera, a prolific rugby player, co-founder of the Philatelic Society, and a horse racing enthusiast. The memoirs of this fascinating man (who resided in the Russell's own building) read like a ripping yarn - full of anecdotes, adventures and humour during a determining period of New Zealand's history. These include encounters with Mark Twain, Frank Bullen, Ignacy Jan Paderewski, and Henry Hayward, a pioneer of New Zealand cinema.
- The published memoirs are available to buy direct from the artist - or alternatively at Wheelers Book Shop or the University Book Shop.
- Cecilia and her work - Word pictures are bread and butter
- Princes Street Row exhibition - History inspires exhibition
- Cecilia and Robert researching Charles Major - Arthur Fryer: Tracing the origins of Charles Major's pioneer era Hawera home
- Mobile: +64 (0)27 255 4335
- Ph: +64 (0)6 278 3951
- PO Box 194, Hawera, 4640, New Zealand
- Studio at 77 Princes St, Hawera, South Taranaki. Visitors welcome by arrangement.
Please go to www.russellart.co.nz to view more of Cecilia's paintings, prints and portraits.